Wednesday, March 07, 2007

In Praise of the Male Species

It occurs to me that I have, in the past, been far too harsh on the subject of teenaged boys. For it is only when one is stranded, in the midst of a snowstorm, on an ice-coated hill one had no business parking on in the first place, and one's father is 60 miles away at a conference, that the virtues of the young male become evident to one.

From just such an unfortunate predicament I was rescued, yesterday evening, by Matt and Zach, whom I barely know, but whose parents know mine from church. Their arrival, with four-wheel drive vehicle, chains, and knowing looks at the afflicted vehicle, was as the coming of the spring rains upon the earth. Far from being exasperated at having to drive through a snowstorm to rescue a young female from the error of her ways, which one might think the natural response, they seemed rather delighted at the opportunity to demonstrate their car-removal skills. For a challenge involving hauling a large, heavy object out of an improbable place is precisely the sort of thing, it seems, that the young male enjoys. I stood helplessly out of the way and in ten minutes the car was unstuck, whereupon I, calling out my thanks, hurried to drive it out of the way of traffic. Matt and Zach were still behind me a couple miles later when I made the mistake of stopping a stop sign which happened to be at the top of a steep hill, and the car once again wouldn't move. One of them (Zach, I think) hopped out of their car and offered to help. I yielding the driver's seat to obviously more capable hands, he backed the car to the bottom of the hill and rammed the gas so that the car's momentum carried it up the slippery hill, and right through the stop sign. As I could not dispute the reasonableness of this course of action, under the circumstances, I resumed the driver's seat with further thanks and drove very, very carefully the rest of the way home. The sight of their headlights in my rearview mirror was quite comforting, until they turned off on another road.

I think I shall bake them some chocolate chip cookies.

2 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

Awww, warm fuzzies! Sometimes guys are truly wonderful. I highly approve.

O Deborah, how are you?? I miss you! Email me your cell number, 'k? I don't seem to have it stored in my phone, despite picking you up from the airport when you visited PHC.

*hug*

9:41 AM, March 09, 2007  
Blogger Pinon Coffee said...

Aww.... _I_ was going to say "warm fuzzies" but Sarah beat me to it! They are good eggs. :-)

I miss you too.

7:18 PM, March 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home